
I had my first American friends visit Paris last weekend!! Caitlin and Molly, the girls that are studying in London, came for a quick trip and it was really great to see them and be able to show them around the city.
Being the Tour Guide
One of the fun things about having the girls here was that I got to do some of the "touristy" stuff that I haven't had a chance to do yet. We went inside Notre Dame, went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, went to the Louvre and walked all the way down the Champs Elysees. Also, they were in awe of everything they saw. For them, seeing the Arc de Triomphe was a really big deal and it helped me take a second look at the amazing things that I have become used to seeing.
Luckily for the girls, we got to spend a lot of time with French people. It really helped them get the full Paris experience and it was nice for them to meet so many new people. My host brother came with us on Friday when we were walking around the city and we also went to his apartment that night. Saturday, Katy's host brothers had a dinner party (18 of their closest friends) and we were invited, so we brought the girls along for a traditional meal and a great time. Caitlin and Molly do not speak French and most of my French friends do not speak English, so this meant that Brittany, Katy and I had to translate pretty much everything everyone said. It was great for me to be speaking two languages in one conversation, but it did become difficult. By the end of the first night my head was spinning! Caitlin was definitely surprised at my ability to speak and understand French. In the U.S. I rarely speak it, so even though I am majoring in the language, my friends and family don't get to experience that part of my life. It was fun for me to have Caitlin, who has known me for ten years, finally witness this piece of who I am.
Reflection
March 15th was the 11 year anniversary of my aneurysm. It was a very reflective day for me and I kept thinking about how life takes you in unexpected directions. I could have never guessed that eleven years ago everything would change forever and I could have never guessed that I would be here now. I am extremely grateful to be here and to be living life to the fullest. Being this far away from friends and family makes you appreciate them more than you ever knew you could, and this week I have definitely been thinking about the opportunities I have been given and how lucky I am. Living in France is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it is also the best thing I have ever done.
Up Next
Midterms are finally over and I'm looking foward to a busy schedule ahead! Marilyn is coming to visit on Saturday for ten days and we have a lot of things planned. I can't wait to play "tour guide" again! Also, we're going to Madrid next weekend and Italy is just around the corner. I have many things to look forward to as Spring rolls into the city of lights.
Being the Tour Guide
One of the fun things about having the girls here was that I got to do some of the "touristy" stuff that I haven't had a chance to do yet. We went inside Notre Dame, went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, went to the Louvre and walked all the way down the Champs Elysees. Also, they were in awe of everything they saw. For them, seeing the Arc de Triomphe was a really big deal and it helped me take a second look at the amazing things that I have become used to seeing.
Luckily for the girls, we got to spend a lot of time with French people. It really helped them get the full Paris experience and it was nice for them to meet so many new people. My host brother came with us on Friday when we were walking around the city and we also went to his apartment that night. Saturday, Katy's host brothers had a dinner party (18 of their closest friends) and we were invited, so we brought the girls along for a traditional meal and a great time. Caitlin and Molly do not speak French and most of my French friends do not speak English, so this meant that Brittany, Katy and I had to translate pretty much everything everyone said. It was great for me to be speaking two languages in one conversation, but it did become difficult. By the end of the first night my head was spinning! Caitlin was definitely surprised at my ability to speak and understand French. In the U.S. I rarely speak it, so even though I am majoring in the language, my friends and family don't get to experience that part of my life. It was fun for me to have Caitlin, who has known me for ten years, finally witness this piece of who I am.
Reflection
March 15th was the 11 year anniversary of my aneurysm. It was a very reflective day for me and I kept thinking about how life takes you in unexpected directions. I could have never guessed that eleven years ago everything would change forever and I could have never guessed that I would be here now. I am extremely grateful to be here and to be living life to the fullest. Being this far away from friends and family makes you appreciate them more than you ever knew you could, and this week I have definitely been thinking about the opportunities I have been given and how lucky I am. Living in France is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it is also the best thing I have ever done.
Up Next
Midterms are finally over and I'm looking foward to a busy schedule ahead! Marilyn is coming to visit on Saturday for ten days and we have a lot of things planned. I can't wait to play "tour guide" again! Also, we're going to Madrid next weekend and Italy is just around the corner. I have many things to look forward to as Spring rolls into the city of lights.

No comments:
Post a Comment