Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Just the beginning



Today we had our going away lunch at IES. It was weird to say goodbye to all of the friends I have made over the semester, and even more weird to realize that we're all going back to our "normal" lives. So many things have happened over the past four months that I can't even begin to describe how it feels to go home. Definitely bittersweet, but so much more than that.


The People

I feel lucky to have met such wonderful people over the past four months. It was fun to meet other American students from different parts of the county at our French school and I definitely made some life-long friendships. I am glad that I also became friends with my host mom and her family. If it wasn't for them, my experience would have been completely different. It is sad to have to leave them and there are not enough words to express my gratitude towards them. I will remember them forever. Also, thinking about all of the random people I have met brings a smile to my face. The world is filled with interesting, amazing people and each one has something to share. I have learned quite a lot from the people I will never see again.


The City

Paris is unbelievable. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to visit this city, and I cannot believe that I actually lived here for four months. I love its rich history and culture, its people (even though they took a little getting used to), its cobblestone streets and small bakeries, its small cars and even smaller showers, its diversity, and its beauty. I would love to come here again one day in a different context. The time I had here was great, but a major part of that was because it was not real. I did not have to work, I had a mom to make dinners and do my laundry, and I had the luxury of simultaneously being a tourist and a resident. I feel like if I came back, things would be very different but the one thing that wouldn't change would be the city itself. I can see why they call Paris the city of love because you cannot help but fall in love with all it has to offer.


Going Back

Leaving will be bittersweet. I am sad to leave this life, but at the same time I am looking forward to all of the things I miss from home. I cannot wait to see my family again- I have missed them more than they will ever know and cannot wait to feel the warmth of our home and their love. I also am excited to see all of my friends again. I'll be in Michigan for five days and then head right to Chicago to see everyone from school. It is funny because being here has really made me realize the most important people in my life. You never know what is going to happen, and I can't wait to see them again and let them know how much I truly missed them and how much they mean to me. I am also very lucky because my best friends from this trip- Brittany and Katy, will be coming back to Chicago with me. It will definitely be an adjustment to settle back into life in the U.S. so I am glad that I have the girls to do it with. We can help each other get back into the swing of things, but at the same time keep our Paris days fresh in our memories.


Afterthoughts

This has been the hardest thing I have ever done, but also the best. Honestly, when I arrived here in January I thought I had made a big mistake. Everything was difficult at the beginning- speaking and hearing French all of the time, living in someone else's house, getting used to the city, learning the customs and expectations, being away from friends and family, and going to a strange school. At first it was very lonely, but after a few weeks things started to settle into place and I began to feel more comfortable. Once the shock subsided, I was able to see this city for what it really is- one of the most incredible cities in the world. My mom and Mark are coming to visit on Friday and I cannot wait to show them my home away from home. I will go home with them on May 21, which will make the transition much easier.


Having the opportunity to live and study here has meant the world to me. It is really a dream come true and I have appreciated every second. Not only did I have an amazing educational experience, but I also learned a lot about myself. It has been a life-changing adventure that I will remember forever.


Thanks for reading my blog. Happy travels!




No comments:

Post a Comment